GIVING AWAY BOOKS!

Adopt an ARC! Check out this list! (PH Only)
  • ARC Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  • ARC Review: The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
  • Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  • Review: Karmic Hearts by Jhing Bautista
  • Review: The Conspiration of the Universe by Kenneth Olanday

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (139): The Three + Subway Love

I feel like it's been ages since I last posted any WoW picks, so I'm back! Not with a vengeance, but with two interesting books I just came across a few weeks ago. Check them out, please!

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine

Title: The Three: A Novel by Sarah Lotz
Release Date: May 20th 2014
Published by: Little, Brown and Company
Want? Add to your Goodreads list!
Summary (from Goodreads):

Four simultaneous plane crashes. Three child survivors. A religious fanatic who insists the three are harbingers of the apocalypse. What if he's right?

The world is stunned when four commuter planes crash within hours of each other on different continents. Facing global panic, officials are under pressure to find the causes. With terrorist attacks and environmental factors ruled out, there doesn't appear to be a correlation between the crashes, except that in three of the four air disasters a child survivor is found in the wreckage.

Dubbed 'The Three' by the international press, the children all exhibit disturbing behavioural problems, presumably caused by the horror they lived through and the unrelenting press attention. This attention becomes more than just intrusive when a rapture cult led by a charismatic evangelical minister insists that the survivors are three of the four harbingers of the apocalypse. The Three are forced to go into hiding, but as the children's behaviour becomes increasingly disturbing, even their guardians begin to question their miraculous survival...

Why I'm waiting for The Three:

I randomly mentioned this book to my book blogger friends last weekend (while chomping down burgers and munching on french fries!) and I told them the plot as best as I could. That was when I realized that "wow, this book had the potential to be big!" because it just sounds interesting to anyone who hears what it's about. It's got that chilling, thriller vibe filled with a mysterious, scary, sinister edge. I like it. It's a combination I haven't read recently in a novel and I want to know if it'll work in this one.

Also! If you don't think the cover above is scary, you might want to check the UK cover:


The numbers... the red hue, that dark background... *shivers*

Title: Subway Love by Nora Raleigh Baskin
Release Date: May 13th 2014
Published by: Candlewick
Want? Add to your Goodreads list!
Summary (from Goodreads):

What if destiny leads you to your soul mate, but the laws of time conspire to keep you apart?

If her parents had never divorced, Laura wouldn’t have to live in the shadow of Bruce, her mom’s unpredictable boyfriend. Her mom wouldn’t say things like "Be groovy," and Laura wouldn’t panic every weekend on the way to Dad’s Manhattan apartment. But when Laura spots a boy on a facing platform, lifting a camera to his face, looking right at her, Laura feels anything but afraid, and she can’t forget him. Jonas, meanwhile, thinks nonstop about the pretty hippie girl he glimpsed on the platform — trying to comprehend how she vanished, but mostly wondering whether he will see her again in a city of millions — and whether if he searches, he would have any chance of finding her. In a lyrical meditation on love, Nora Raleigh Baskin explores the soul’s ability to connect, and heal, outside the bounds of time and reason.

Why I'm waiting for Subway Love:

I am not a big fan of that cover. I've read a few of Nora Raleigh Baskin's novels, and even though I find major faults in a lot of them most of the time, I'm continually captivated by the summary of her books. Guilty pleasure, what I call the experience when I read her books, and Subway Love is not an exception. I'd like to see how Laura and Jonas meet, if they ever will, and just really know what's gonna happen between both characters. What does "time" have to do with them meeting? I always fall for such a good summary, and this book has that at least. My curiousity is definitely piqued.

-----

What are your WoW picks for this week?



13 comments:

  1. Wow these are interesting! Will add

    Check our WOW

    Leydy @ OUaT & Redcarpetendings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The three sounds very intriguing and creepy. Curious about those survivors. Wondering what their behavior is like and what happens to them. Subway Love sounds cute too. Both of these are new to me so thanks for sharing and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Three gives me chills just reading the synopsis! Love both covers, good and creepy, but I think I prefer the UK one, with the ghostly images of the children peeking out of the red slashes! Nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might now be a little bit obsessed with The Three. Yep. I mean, harbingers of the apocalypse? Rapture cults? That's got a lot of potential to be pretty fantastic. Also awful. :) I can't decide which cover I like better. On one hand, I love the plane on the US cover, but I love the three out of four strikes on the UK, especially with the children inside of them. AH. GREAT PICKS! :)

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome picks! i have not heard of the three before but now i'm dying to read it. it sounds FANTASTIC. i think i prefer the UK cover though.

    hope you can stop by my WoW Post.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both sound great! I'm really curious about Three.

    Nice picks :-) Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read The Three! It sounds so good. Thanks for stopping by my WOW:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Subway Love sounds great. Recently I'm into contemporary sso this one goes right to my TBR. Nice pick!

    My WoW @ So Bookalicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these sound really great! Especially Subway Love, that one sounds really cute.
    Rachel @ The NerdHerd Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. THE THREE sounds awesome! I'm watching season 5 of Supernatural right now, and I'm addicted... this is so up my alley. Great pick! Here’s my WoW post!
    ~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm adding The Three to my TBR list! I love how mysterious it sounds, definitely going to check it out. :)

    My WoW :)


    Jackie @Jackie's Book World

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you're right, The Three sounds like it could be big!! I'm surprised I've never heard of it before... thanks for pointing it out to me and thanks for stopping by earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Three doesn't really sound like my kind of book but Subway Love is catching my interest-I've had mixed experiences with that author as well but not enough to deter me from trying her again.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers and fellow bookworms, and I try my best to respond to all of them. Feel free to give me a piece of your thoughts. Also, this is an award-free blog. I simply don't have the time to highlight them anymore, but thank you for thinking of my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails