GIVING AWAY BOOKS!

Adopt an ARC! Check out this list! (PH Only)
  • ARC Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  • ARC Review: The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
  • Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  • Review: Karmic Hearts by Jhing Bautista
  • Review: The Conspiration of the Universe by Kenneth Olanday

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Review: Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Before I say anything else, let me just confirm, this has a sequel right? Because if it doesn’t, I’m going to die. I want to read it right away!

Title: Siren
Author: Tricia Rayburn
Pages: 352

Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of everything—the dark, heights, the ocean—but her fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to coach her through every challenge. That is, until Justine goes cliff-diving one night near the family’s vacation house in Maine, and her lifeless body washes up on shore the next day.

Though her parents hope that they’ll be able to find closure back in Boston, Vanessa can’t help feeling that her sister’s death wasn’t an accident. After discovering that Justine was keeping a lot of secrets, Vanessa returns to Winter Harbor, hoping that Justine’s boyfriend might know more. But Caleb has been missing since Justine’s death.

Soon, it’s not just Vanessa who’s afraid. All of Winter Harbor is abuzz with anxiety when another body washes ashore, and panic sets in when the small town becomes host to a string of fatal, water-related accidents in which all the victims are found, horrifically, grinning from ear to ear.

Vanessa turns to Caleb’s brother, Simon, for help, and begins to find herself drawn to him. As the pair try to understand the sudden rash of creepy drownings, Vanessa uncovers a secret that threatens her new romance—and will change her life forever.

A seductive paranormal romance full of unexpected twists, Siren is certain to make a big summer splash.

It’s surprising, even for me, how much I was addicted to this book. When I started reading this, I wanted to forge ahead and maybe I have devoured the book and finished it in one sitting if I wasn’t working and had more time in my hands.

I have much praises for this book. This is just fantastic. Siren was a very engaging read. It sucks you right into the story, and the next thing you know you’d be flipping the pages non-stop, holding your breath while trying to find out what happens next. It was like peeling off countless covers of a present and gasping in surprise when what was inside was finally unraveled. I especially love the twists and turns in the story, the feeling of constantly getting surprised by what you’re reading.

I love the way the bits and pieces of Vanessa’s character was unveiled. You’re finding out things about her as you go through the story, her character doesn’t seem to be stagnant, and despite her countless weaknesses (oblivious to herself, afraid of a lot of things, insecure, low self-esteem) Vanessa is a delightful character to read.

Justine’s presence can be seen throughout the story, a strong, reliable older sister, she was the source of Vanessa’s strength. My older sister and I are not as close as Justine and Vanessa are, but having an older sister helped me relate to both Vanessa and Justine’s character more. I know how it would feel losing someone as precious as a sister.

And don’t you just love having a cute geeky guy as your male protagonist? I do. It’s refreshing somehow, considering almost all YA novels have their lead guy seen as handsome and strong and very capable. Simon was, but in a very geeky, dorky way. He was this walking Weather channel, all into facts, and yet he was still able to accept that some things just cannot be explained by science.

Tricia Rayburn was able to re-create the legend of the Siren into a stunning novel, a fresh take on the story of these beautiful creatures that only exists in myths. She was able to weave an engaging and fascinating fantasy tale about love and death, grief, and that of the beautiful mythical creature, the Siren, who sings a lovely song.

Rating: ★★★★★ : AWESOMENESS! MORE! MORE! - I can't believe such a book exists!

1 comment:

  1. oh, I"m so glad you loved this! I really enjoyed this book, as well :) great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers and fellow bookworms, and I try my best to respond to all of them. Feel free to give me a piece of your thoughts. Also, this is an award-free blog. I simply don't have the time to highlight them anymore, but thank you for thinking of my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails