GIVING AWAY BOOKS!

Adopt an ARC! Check out this list! (PH Only)
  • ARC Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  • ARC Review: The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
  • Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  • Review: Karmic Hearts by Jhing Bautista
  • Review: The Conspiration of the Universe by Kenneth Olanday

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (143): Dove Arising + The Fall

Hello lovely friends and readers! Can you believe it's March already? Wow.

Anyway, here are my picks for this week and they both sound LOVELY.

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine

Title: Dove Arising by Karen Bao
Release Date: August 19th 2014
Published by: Viking Juvenile
Want? Add to your Goodreads list!
Summary (from Goodreads):

Phaet Theta has lived her whole life in a colony on the Moon. She’s barely spoken since her father died in an accident nine years ago. She cultivates the plants in Greenhouse 22, lets her best friend talk for her, and stays off the government’s radar.

Then her mother is arrested.

The only way to save her younger siblings from the degrading Shelter is by enlisting in the Militia, the faceless army that polices the Lunar bases and protects them from attacks by desperate Earth-dwellers. Training is brutal, but it’s where Phaet forms an uneasy but meaningful alliance with the preternaturally accomplished Wes, a fellow outsider.

Rank high, save her siblings, free her mom: that’s the plan. Until Phaet’s logically ordered world begins to crumble...

Why I'm waiting for Dove Arising:

What a gorgeous cover! I feel like someone's brought me to space just by looking at it. Anyway, I haven't read a lot of sci-fi novels like this one so I'm definitely intrigued. It's like a mix of quite a few popular ideas that gave birth to something that sounds similar but unique at the same time. Hmmmm. I'll definitely be keeping my eye out on this one.

Title: The Fall by Bethany Griffin
Release Date: October 7th 2014
Published by: Greenwillow Books
Want? Add to your Goodreads list!
Summary (from Goodreads):

Madeline Usher is doomed.

She has spent her life fighting fate, and she thought she was succeeding. Until she woke up in a coffin.

Ushers die young. Ushers are cursed. Ushers can never leave their house, a house that haunts and is haunted, a house that almost seems to have a mind of its own. Madeline’s life—revealed through short bursts of memory—has hinged around her desperate plan to escape, to save herself and her brother. Her only chance lies in destroying the house.

In the end, can Madeline keep her own sanity and bring the house down?

Why I'm waiting for The Fall:

Oh my gosh, everything about this book, from the cover to the summary sounds so creepy and intriguing. I know Beth Griffin's series Masque of Red Death is a series based on one of Poe's works so I shouldn't be surprised that this one is too, but this book? The Fall sounds deliciously dark and interesting that even though I'm a wimp for anything scary, I still want to read this one.

Imagine being an Usher... and then suddenly waking up inside a coffin? Oh no.

-----

Share your WoW picks this week please!


12 comments:

  1. I almost chose Dove Arising this week, too! Looks amazing.
    Oh that cover for The Fall...so creepy. And I'm really looking forward to more from Bethany Griffin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read my copy of Masque of Red Death, but Bethany sounds like a great author. Great WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are intriguing picks, especially The Fall. Been seeing that one a lot today. I like horror so I'm particularly drawn to that one :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is The Fall based on The Fall of the House of Usher or is it just a subtle nod to Poe in the title? I'm gonna have to check this out further on Goodreads I think. The first book sounds good as well. I wonder why she hasn't spoken? Nice picks this week.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's a retelling of The Fall of the House of Usher by Poe. :)

      Delete
  5. Great picks! Dove Arising just sounds so amazing, and that cover!
    I love that Bethany is doing more odes to Poe! Which reminds me I need to read the other book in Masque of the Red Death, eep! Thanks for sharing!

    Cyn @ Bookmunchies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I had to double check if her Masque of Red Death series is based on Poe's works too, and it is! So excited to read The Fall. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. I've not heard of the first book before, but The Fall sounds Awesome! I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, those covers. :o They both sound awesome! Awesome picks!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're both new to me and both sounds awesome. Great picks :)
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice picks! Here is mine: http://ratherbarefoot.blogspot.se/2014/03/waiting-on-wednesday-last-breath.html
    New GFC follower =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these books are new to me, but they are both so intriguing!! I agree with you about the cover of "Dove Arising" -- totally gorgeous!! As for the plot, I love it! Yes, as you say, it does sound a bit familiar, but still original. I definitely want to read it!!

    As for "The Fall', I must confess I'm not a fan of Edgar Allan Poe. AT ALL. I read a couple of his stories in high school, since they were required, and believe me, I've never forgotten them....The ones I'm talking about are "The Tell-tale Heart" and "The Cask of Amontillado". Shivers..... I have never read "The Fall of the House of Usher", but just did a quick Google search, and found the Wikipedia article about the story. OMG.....what a terrifying story!! So, the only way I would read "The Fall" would be if I were absolutely SURE there was a happy ending. Otherwise, no. I'll just wait and see what reviewers say about this book.

    Thanks for sharing, and thanks for commenting on my WOW!! : )

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers and fellow bookworms, and I try my best to respond to all of them. Feel free to give me a piece of your thoughts. Also, this is an award-free blog. I simply don't have the time to highlight them anymore, but thank you for thinking of my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails