GIVING AWAY BOOKS!

Adopt an ARC! Check out this list! (PH Only)
  • ARC Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  • ARC Review: The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
  • Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  • Review: Karmic Hearts by Jhing Bautista
  • Review: The Conspiration of the Universe by Kenneth Olanday

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (59): 2012 Contemps!

Dear Postal Office, where are my books? *sigh*
Anybody here having problems with slow mail service?

Anyway! Here are our picks for this week:

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine

Title: Where It Began by Ann Redisch Stampler
Release Date: March 6th 2012
Published by: Simon Pulse
Want? Add to your Goodreads shelf!
Summary (from Goodreads):

Gabby Gardiner wakes up in a hospital bed looking like a cautionary ad for drunk driving and lacking a single memory of the accident that landed her there. What she can remember, in frank and sardonic detail, is the year leading up to the accident.

As she takes us through her transformation from invisible girl to on-trend Girl Who Dates Billy Nash (aka Most Desirable Boy Ever), she is left wondering: Why is Billy suddenly distancing himself from her? What do her classmates know that Gabby herself does not? Who exactly was in the car that night? And why is Gabby left alone to take the fall?

Putting the pieces together will take every ounce of Gabby's strength. As she peels back the layers of her life, she begins to realize that her climb up the status ladder has been as intoxicating as it has been morally complex...and that nothing about her life is what she has imagined it to be.

Why I'm waiting for Where It Began:

It kind of reminds me of Michele Jaffe's Rosebush, minus the thriller/stalker aspect and more of real-life, tough situations and also a little bit of Here Lies Bridget. I have a feeling this is mostly about Gabby's life and transformation to someone else. Sounds like a heart breaking book, actually. I wonder what happened. Maybe someone died? We'll never know unless we read the book.

Title: Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, Maira Kalman (Illustrator)
Release Date: January 2nd 2012
Published by: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Want?Add to your Goodreads shelf!
Summary (from Goodreads):

I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.

Why I'm waiting for Why We Broke Up:

Now this should be quite a challenging read. Would you really want to read the reasons why you broke up with someone? No? But for some reason I want to read this, the story about those bottle caps, movie tickets and all the other stuff left in the aftermath of Min and Ed's relationship. And it looks like it will have illustrations!

-----

So what are you guys waiting for this week? I'm pretty excited to get my hands on both books in my WoW meme today!

18 comments:

  1. I love these covers! They both have exciting premises as well. Awesome picks, Kai!

    Stop by my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have these on my TBR list as well. Great choices!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by. Great choices, both sound really good. I especially can't wait to read Where It Began.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why We Broke Up is on my TBR/Wishlist. As for the other title, Where It Began, this is my first introduction and it looks like a book that I may enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions! They both look good. I have an ARC of Why We Broke Up but I haven't gotten to read it yet.

    Please check out my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woooo! the first choice is abolutely amazing! IM looking forward for that one =P

    http://dazzlingreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both books sound great. I'm particularly intrigued by "Why We Broke Up", so I'll be adding it to my TBR. The summary does a good job of really catching my attention.

    If you like, stop by and check out my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by. Both of these sound interesting. Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cover of Where It Began and am waiting on it,too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been on a contemp kick lately! I'm really excited for both of these -- especially Why We Broke Up! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely need more contemps in my life so thanks for featuring these two. They sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two awesome books! I love the cover for Where it Began. Gorgeous! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have both of these on my TBR list. They both sound really awesome and I can't wait until they come out :] Great picks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of these sound really good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh! Both of these sound super fantastic. I can't pick which one I like more... I really love the cover of Where It Began but I think Why We Broke Up will be a better book. Can't wait for these to come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I started a Flashback Friday meme that I'd love for you to be a part of. Here's the link to my post.
    Flashback Friday on Clean Teen Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I have the ARC of WHY WE BROKE UP! I haven't even really looked at it. Sounds great. WHERE IT BEGAN sounds like a great mystery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our service is getting slower too since they're shutting down a lot of offices. :( Love the recommendations! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers and fellow bookworms, and I try my best to respond to all of them. Feel free to give me a piece of your thoughts. Also, this is an award-free blog. I simply don't have the time to highlight them anymore, but thank you for thinking of my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails