GIVING AWAY BOOKS!

Adopt an ARC! Check out this list! (PH Only)
  • ARC Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  • ARC Review: The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
  • Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  • Review: Karmic Hearts by Jhing Bautista
  • Review: The Conspiration of the Universe by Kenneth Olanday

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

I haven't been this entertained and breathless and yet so emotionally frustrated after reading a book. I guess Starcrossed can make you feel that way because I'd just about do anything to read the second book. It really wouldn't end that way, right?

Title: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Pages: 496
Release Date: May 31st 2011
Published by: HarperTeen
Source: Borrowed (thanks, Precious!)
Buy: Amazon | Book Depository

Summary (from Goodreads):

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

I have always been a fan of Greek mythology and I am in love with a lot of the countless adaptations I have read of the story of Helen of Troy (my mom was named after her) and Paris, the younger Trojan Prince. But goodness, Josephine Angelini can put such a highly imaginative and astoundingly creative spin to their story in Starcrossed.

All that Helen wants is to be normal. But at sixteen, standing at five foot nine and growing taller each day, that wasn't easy, especially if you live in such a small island, Nantucket, and has been branded as a freak by a lot of people. Then one day a new family, the Delos, moved to the island, and Helen did the most horrible thing to the boy from that family. She attacked him. So much for trying not to stand out. But oblivious to Helen, she has set in motion a series of event that has her fate hopelessly tangled with that boy, Lucas, and neither of them can't stop it from coming true.

My only problem with Helen in this book is that she constantly keeps on belittling herself. You'd think she'd be a lot more braver knowing that she possess a power so great, but her desperation to just be "normal" overpowers her most of the time. I think she's a likable character though, adorable at times, even. Plagued with insecurities and uncertainties, I think Helen possesses that "real" factor. Demi-gods were always portrayed to be perfect, but Helen's was downplayed so much, but that made me like her. Learning slowly and gradually accepting herself makes Helen a character worth the while to read about.

I will not deny this, but I think I fell in love more with the Delos family as a whole more than I liked Lucas. I have not read of such a great chemistry in a family in a while now, but no matter how unusual each member was, they had such a strong bond anyone would envy. Lucas is a part of this great family, and in some ways, he is a great person. He has taught Helen a lot, and it hurts a bit to see him struggle with his feelings for her. When you've read about him, you will not be able to stop yourself but cheer for him and Helen, trust me on this.

The plot moves forward in such a nice pace. You will read not only of Helen and Lucas, but also of other wonderful, dynamic characters and together they made such a wonderful story. Claire, no matter how quirky she is, she's such a trusting and loyal friend to Helen. You'd wish you have a friend like her! I did, and her story and Jason's will keep you pre-occupied from the heaviness you'll feel from Helen and Lucas's.

Starcrossed is a one of a kind novel. A blend of mythology, love, destiny and fate. It's such an impressive debut for Josephine Angelini. Filled with vivid and adrenaline filled action scenes, heart breaking moments that will make you sigh in frustration, and a fantastic, highly convincing backstory, it's a novel that will leave you wanting for more long after you have flipped the last page.

I am HIGHLY dissatisfied with the ending, but I guess it happens when you develop a bond with the characters and become a little bit emotionally invested on them. You can't help but cheer them on, no matter what the circumstance is, no matter what the odds are against them. Spending the day reading almost 500 pages of a great piece is worth every single moment I've spent!

Content (plot, story flow, character):



Stunning: Worthy of a Goddess' Praise!

Book Cover:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from my readers and fellow bookworms, and I try my best to respond to all of them. Feel free to give me a piece of your thoughts. Also, this is an award-free blog. I simply don't have the time to highlight them anymore, but thank you for thinking of my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails