GIVING AWAY BOOKS!

Adopt an ARC! Check out this list! (PH Only)
  • ARC Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  • ARC Review: The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
  • Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  • Review: Karmic Hearts by Jhing Bautista
  • Review: The Conspiration of the Universe by Kenneth Olanday

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (38)

I'm sick. It's summer but tons of people I know are sick like me. Stupid colds + Sore throat + cough and then fever and then body pain and I can barely move last night. I'm glad I'm feeling better today.

*sigh*

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine

Title: The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Release Date: August 19th 2011
Published by: Macmillan
Summary (from Goodreads):

The Victorian language of flowers was used to express emotions: honeysuckle for devotion, azaleas for passion, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it has been more useful in communicating feelings like grief, mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen, Victoria has nowhere to go, and sleeps in a public park, where she plants a small garden of her own. When her talent is discovered by a local florist, she discovers her gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But it takes meeting a mysterious vendor at the flower market for her to realise what's been missing in her own life, and as she starts to fall for him, she's forced to confront a painful secret from her past, and decide whether it's worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness. "The Language of Flowers" is a heartbreaking and redemptive novel about the meaning of flowers, the meaning of family, and the meaning of love.
Why I'm waiting for The Language of Flowers:

I think the last sentence sold me to this book. I love books that tells of someone's struggles and then overcoming all of it and finding happiness and love in the end. I can tell this is going to be an emotional, filled with lessons read. And I'm really curious about the language of flowers as well, what it means and what to give on what time and occasion, and I'm sure this book is also filled with that information.

Title: Burnout by Adrienne Maria Vrettos
Release Date: September 13th 2011
Published by: Margarette K. McElderry Books
Summary (from Goodreads):

On the day after Halloween, Nan wakes up in a subway car. She is not dreaming. She doesn’t know where she’s been or what she’s done. She’s missing a whole day from her life. And she’s wearing skeleton makeup and a too-small Halloween costume that she doesn't remember putting on.

Nan is not supposed to wake up in places like this anymore. She’s different now, so far from that dangerously drunk girl who hit bottom in the Nanapocalypse. She needs to find out what happened to her, and fast. As she tries to put together the pieces of the last twenty-four hours, she flashes back to memories of her previous life. But she would never go back to her old friends and her old ways. Would she?

The deeper Nan digs, the more disturbing things get. This time, she may have gone one step too far. This time, she may be a walking ghost.
Why I'm waiting for Burnout:

I love me a good mystery book. This one sounds chilling and intriguing. Who wouldn't be freaked out waking up and not remembering what happened the whole day before? Oh, and I'm puzzled by the term... Nanapocalypse? What is that?

Title: Lie by Caroline Bock
Release Date: August 30th 2011
Published by: Martin's Griffin
Summary (from Goodreads):

Everybody knows, nobody's talking. That's what's being passed from friend-to-friend as seventeen year-old Skylar Thompson is being questioned by the police in her nice suburban Long Island town. Her boyfriend Jimmy, baseball and football star -- a Scholar-Athlete -- stands accused of brutally assaulting two young El Salvadoran immigrants from a neighboring town, and she's the prime witness along with Jimmy's best friend and accomplice Sean.

But when Skylar and Sean begin to appreciate the enormity of what has happened, especially when Carlos Cortez, the victim's brother steps up to demand justice, they must figure out why they followed Jimmy -- and if they will lie to protect him -- and themselves.

Inspired by true events, this story grips the reader from page one and will stay with them -- and that is the truth.
Why I'm waiting for Lie:

The question "how far are you willing to go to protect someone you love?" comes into mind while I was reading the summary for this book. Lie sounds like a tough book which discusses a lot of difficult themes and subjects. I'd love to read books dealing with heavy emotions and complicated situations like Skylar is in once in a while.

-----

Share your Waiting on Wednesday picks, please!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from my readers and fellow bookworms, and I try my best to respond to all of them. Feel free to give me a piece of your thoughts. Also, this is an award-free blog. I simply don't have the time to highlight them anymore, but thank you for thinking of my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails