GIVING AWAY BOOKS!

Adopt an ARC! Check out this list! (PH Only)
  • ARC Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  • ARC Review: The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
  • Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  • Review: Karmic Hearts by Jhing Bautista
  • Review: The Conspiration of the Universe by Kenneth Olanday

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Review: She's So Dead To Us by Kieran Scott

I must have busted the forward arrow of my laptop pressing on it repeatedly, thinking there were more pages on the Kindle e-book I have and wondering why there weren't.

I didn't want the book to end, nor do I want to stop reading!

Title: She's So Dead To Us by Kieran Scott
Pages: 256
Release Date: May 5th 2010
Published by: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Source: Borrowed (thanks Tina!)
Buy: Amazon | Book Depository

Summary:

When having money is all that matters, what happens when you lose it all?

Perfect, picturesque Orchard Hill. It was the last thing Ally Ryan saw in the rear-view mirror as her mother drove them out of town and away from the shame of the scandal her father caused when his hedge fund went south and practically bankrupted all their friends -- friends that liked having trust funds and new cars, and that didn't like constant reminders that they had been swindled. So it was adios, Orchard Hill. Thanks for nothing.

Now, two years later, Ally's mother has landed a job back at the site of their downfall. So instead of Ally's new low-key, happy life, it'll be back into the snake pit with the likes of Shannen Moore and Hammond Ross.

But then there's Jake Graydon. Handsome, wealthy, bored Jake Graydon. He moved to town after Ally left and knows nothing of her scandal, but does know that he likes her. And she likes him. So off into the sunset they can go, right? Too bad Jake's friends have a problem with his new crush since it would make Ally happy. And if anyone deserves to be unhappy, it's Ally Ryan.

Ally was hoping to have left all the drama in the past, but some things just can't be forgotten. Isn't there more to life than money?
It's Gossip Girl meets the Mean Girls in this intense teen novel. Told using Ally's and Jake's alternating points of view, we get a glimpse of how life is for a girl who had "fallen" so far off the pedestal in this book.

Ally used to be rich, that is, until her dad made a big mistake and in a flash, Ally finds herself living a life that was different to the one she was used to. Gone were their eight bedroom house, her father's BMW, and, even her father, along with a lot of people's money. Leaving town without even saying goodbye to her friends, Ally came back two years later, her friends, the Cresties, were still there, but they were now treating her like crap, a Norm, for different reasons. And then there was this hot guy who now owns what used to be their house. Ally was caught in a complicated web of lies and secrets, and all she wanted was to try to put the pieces of her life back together, back home, but it's proving to be a lot more difficult than she thought it would be.

I have to say, never in a novel have I dislike this many characters. I am not saying this is how rich kids really behave, but the Cresties were some pieces of work, especially Shannen. Evil to the bone, these girls have issues they couldn't quite settle peacefully. The boys, Hammond and the twins, act like, well, boys and were not doing anything even when they know they can. Shannen just gets to my bad side, she's a hardcore bad girl, and Faith, a sad case, was trying so hard to just fit in with the Cresties she had to ditch her friends. But who would want to hang out with a bunch of nobodies if you can be with the popular ones? Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to high school.

It's amazing how Kieran Scott was able to write vividly how the situation was between the Cresties and the Norms, the rich and the poor. The great contrast between the two classes were made obvious through Ally's experiences, trying to get back with her friends, and finally settling down to a life of being a Norm.

I love Ally's character. I've always loved reading about strong heroines, and for me, Ally is strong. At sixteen, she had been through a lot and still she found courage and strength to face everything that was left of her old life, chin up, proudly. I like how she's also vulnerable at times, dealing with the aftermath of what her dad has done. I sympathize with her character so much it hurts to see how she was treated, but still, she keeps her head up high.

She's a heroine who comes off strong, sometimes even stronger than Jake. This is probably the first book I've read where the guy blushes more times than I can count. Jake is a charming male lead, but I sometimes think he lacks the backbone to protect Ally. He thinks too much of what his friends would think and even though he hates it most of the time, he likes to keep up with appearances.

Annie is an interesting character. I don't think you'd be able to understand how rich people think no matter how much "data" you gather from them. The kids in this particular book were unpredictable, but it's amusing how Annie seems to know their every move. Gossip Girl, I tell you. Any guesses who the speakers were at the start of each chapters?

But aside from the vengeful, snarky teens, I think readers can learn a lot from this book. Sometimes people find it hard, but at some point we have to learn how to forgive and move on. It's not easy but it can be done. Learn how to be mature, and really, talk. Most of the conflicts in the story wouldn't have happened if Shannen took time to hear Ally's side and not assumed anything. Then again, everything that happened is what goes typically in high school cliques. Very cliche, but very real as well.

Overall, I enjoyed reading She's So Dead To Us a lot. It's an engaging, fast paced read. I'm very curious to know what happens next! I was so relieved when I found out that there's a sequel.

My rating

Content (plot, story flow, character):


Shining: Worthy of a Goddess' Love!

Book Cover:

I'm a bit torn in this one. While I think the cover looks simple, and simple is nice, I think it's a bit plain.




1 comment:

  1. I love this book :)
    I cant wait until the second book comes out :(.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers and fellow bookworms, and I try my best to respond to all of them. Feel free to give me a piece of your thoughts. Also, this is an award-free blog. I simply don't have the time to highlight them anymore, but thank you for thinking of my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails