GIVING AWAY BOOKS!

Adopt an ARC! Check out this list! (PH Only)
  • ARC Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  • ARC Review: The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
  • Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  • Review: Karmic Hearts by Jhing Bautista
  • Review: The Conspiration of the Universe by Kenneth Olanday

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review: A Song for Caitlin by J.E. Bright

As promised, since Kai is in super slow mode, so here I am to the rescue!

How do you get over someone when you see him all the time? How do you deal with the heartache? How do you move on?

Title: A Song for Caitlin
Author: J.E. Bright
Pages: 224

Summary:

Brad Myers has never been happier. A junior at Webster High, he's madly in love with his girlfriend, Caitlin Dawes; his band is booking a lot of gigs; and he's doing great in school. With all the positive things going on, Brad has everything to look forward to.

But Brad's hopes and dreams come crashing down when Caitlin is diagnosed with cancer. Brad can't bear to see the most important person in his life suffering...maybe even dying. He's overcome by grief and devastation. Can Caitlin, through her strength and inner beauty, teach Brad that true love never dies?
I don’t know if it’s because of the dying girl or the guy’s undying love, but while reading this book, I find myself longing for the same committed and unadulterated love.

In my book, a guy that belongs to a band is attractive. To me, Brad was more than that. He was also the adoring boyfriend who loves his girlfriend so much, that he stood by her even in her darkest days.

Caitlin, on the other hand, is a picture of strength. It’s easy to pity her and feel sad for her situation, but one has to admire her sheer determination and willpower to remain strong, not only for her, but also for Brad.

An ideal couple, that’s what I see Brad and Caitlin as. They bring out the best in each other. Theirs is a truly inspiring relationship. Caitlin urged him to reconcile with his mother. Brad wrote a song for her.
Love never dies.
As long as the sun will rise,
love never dies.
Though you walk the edge of a knife,
live life...
Brad and Caitlin teach us one of the most important lessons in love, that it never dies.

Cover:


A Song for Caitlin is not without its flaws. A band that plays electronic music? Seriously?! That’s so 80’s. The cover could have used a bit more imagination, too. Wouldn’t it have worked better if instead of a guy’s image, it was a girl’s? Or if they chose a guy, they could have at least pictured him with a band in the background.

Despite this minor imperfections, I have to say, J.E. Bright did a great job. The narrative was written as if it was lyrical prose, descriptive and not cheesy. I feel Brad and Caitlin’s emotions as if they were my own. Real. It’s a sad, happy ending, if that’s even possible.

I’m giving A Song for Caitlin 5 out of 5. I highly suggest you read this with a box of tissues nearby.

Tin's rating:

Stunning: Worthy of a Goddess' Praise!


2 comments:

  1. Have never heard of the book but it sounds like something my sister would read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice review, Tin! I'm glad you liked A Song for Caitlin -- it's one of my favorite books that I've written. I have to say, though, that when I wrote the book in early 1998, electronic rave bands were still cool! And unfortunately I had no say in the cover.

    Thanks again!

    J. E. Bright

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers and fellow bookworms, and I try my best to respond to all of them. Feel free to give me a piece of your thoughts. Also, this is an award-free blog. I simply don't have the time to highlight them anymore, but thank you for thinking of my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails